Aputure softboxes are a popular choice for photographers and videographers who want to create soft, flattering light. But with so many different sizes and shapes to choose from, it can be tough to decide which one is right for you. In this article, we'll walk you through the different factors to consider when choosing an Aputure softbox, so you can find the perfect one for your needs.
The first thing to consider is the size of the softbox. The size of the softbox will affect the size of the light source and the spread of light. A larger softbox will create a softer, more diffused light, while a smaller softbox will create a more directional light.
- Small softboxes (23" - 35") are a good choice for headshots, product photography, and close-up work.
- Medium softboxes (35" - 55") are more versatile and can be used for a wider range of subjects, such as portraits, full-body shots, and small groups.
- Large softboxes (55" +) are best for larger subjects, such as groups of people or full-body shots. They can also be used to create dramatic lighting effects.
Softboxes come in a variety of shapes, including square, rectangular, octagonal, and strip boxes. The shape of the softbox will affect the distribution of light.
- Square softboxes create soft, even light that is flattering for portraits.
- Rectangular softboxes (also called strip boxes) create a long, narrow beam of light that is good for accent lighting or highlighting backgrounds.
- Octagonal softboxes are a hybrid of square and round softboxes, and they create a soft, natural-looking light.
- Strip boxes are long and narrow, and they are good for creating light streaks or for illuminating backgrounds.
The modifier fabric of the softbox will affect the color and quality of the light.
- Silver fabric creates a bright, contrasty light.
- White fabric creates a softer, more neutral light.
- Gold fabric creates a warm, flattering light.
Other factors to consider
- Portability: If you plan to travel with your softbox, you'll want to choose one that is lightweight and easy to fold up.
- Budget: Softboxes can range in price from around $50 to $500 or more. Decide how much you're willing to spend before you start shopping.
- Compatibility: Make sure the softbox you choose is compatible with your light stand and flash unit.
Aputure Softbox Options
Aputure offers a wide variety of softboxes to choose from, so you're sure to find one that meets your needs. Some of their most popular softboxes include:
- Light Dome III: This versatile Bowens-mount softbox comes in two sizes, featuring a quick-release system for rapid setup and a durable, portable design.
- Aputure Lantern: This is a unique softbox that creates a soft, omnidirectional light. It is perfect for portrait photography, videography, and product photography.
- Light Dome SE: Designed for content creators, interviews, and portraits, this compact, lightweight softbox attaches to Bowens-mount lights and produces soft, even illumination.
Tips for choosing an Aputure softbox
- Start with a small softbox. If you're new to softboxes, it's a good idea to start with a small one. You can always upgrade to a larger one later if you need it.
- Consider your needs. Think about what you'll be using the softbox for and choose one that is the right size and shape for your needs.
- Don't be afraid to experiment. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to choosing a softbox. Try out a few different ones to see what you like best.
I hope this article has helped you learn how to choose the right Aputure softbox for your needs. With so many great options to choose from, you're sure to find the perfect one to help you take your photography or videography to the next level.
Here is an unboxing video for you to explore more.